
It's safe to say that as social beings, we have evolved in the last ten years.
Most of us have willingly allowed our lives to be documented on the internet. No longer do we remember that one drink too many, or that bad hair cut in solitude. Now, Aunts, Uncles, and even that weird kid from your junior high gym class can relive that moment in time with you by surfing through your tagged pictures on Facebook. These mortifying moments are without a doubt good for a few laughs; and with the advent of websites in the past six months dedicated entirely to these embarrassing moments- they can now haunt us in cyberspace forever.
Case and point: the website Texts From Last Night. Here, users are revealed only by their area code, and their embarrassing submissions that probably should have never been sent.
Another popular website, F My Life, celebrates your bad day through their websites submissions. According to the websites creators, the site is a space to "let it all out and unwind by sharing the little things that screw with your day, and maybe realize that you are not alone in experiencing day to day crap."
An, example:
"Today, I received my passport in the mail. They got my birthdate wrong. Then I picked up my birth certificate that I had sent in with the application. Turns out my parents have been celebrating my birthday on the wrong day for 16 years. FML"
And finally, my personal favorite addition to this budding genre of websites: Awkward Family Photos. One of the gems submitted is pictured above with the caption: "Even Anne Geddes thinks this may be a stretch."
These websites are great to surf when you have a few spare moments, or when you're procrastinating getting mounds of work done. It's an interesting, (and dare I say innovative) way to empathize with strangers, and laugh at ourselves- and I think that's something that we all too often forget to do.

Love the photo! And the links are fun.
ReplyDeleteI love these sites! Whenever I'm bored I find myself venturing to them but the Awkward Family Photos is a new one for me. Thanks for showing me another way to procrastinate from doing my work!
ReplyDeleteI do have to admit the websites that you referred to in this post, i regularly visit them to have a good laugh after a bad day. (Especially f my life because when im having a bad day i know i can go on there, and someones day is always worse than mine!)
ReplyDeleteI do agree that we have become very advanced when it comes to these social networks. I do not have a facebook but, all my aunts and uncles do. It is annoying to me that even though I do not have one of those pages my face is still on the internet!
I love FML and Awkward. They are hilarious. People of Walmart is my new favorite. I second Niki- new and improved ways to procrastinate are always welcome!
ReplyDeleteI love going to the FML site but I had never heard of the other two, texts from last night and the awkward family photos but I am already intrigued to check them out after this post. =) Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to FML in forever, but i'm sure i will be looking at some now before i finish up my business e-mail homework! haha
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI haven't visited these sites before but they look funny! They must be a great way to get a good laugh every once in awhile.
ReplyDeleteOh man, you totally try Overheard at ... The most hilarious, out-of-context conversations EVER.
ReplyDeleteI don't actually go to any of these sites, but I have a buddy that's always on FML and reading them to me. I know that I shouldn't laugh, but they're just way to ridiculous sometimes.
ReplyDeleteTexts from Last Night is hilarious! I definitely do not compulsively check it like Facebook, but I will wander over to the site to get a good laugh!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm constantly on facebook - it's a problem. I've been to F MY Life once or twice. A friend actually told me about texts from last night, yesterday. I'll have to check it out. Cute picture!
ReplyDelete