Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On Writing


One word to describe me this semester: fickle.

I have spent the last three years deciding when to make my English Journalism second major official. The one thing stopping me- I'm not really sure I enjoy writing all the time. About a month ago, I had the paperwork in hand and planned to declare after a class. Unfortunately, this was also the day I received my first ever "F" on a paper. Granted the professor is notorious for impossibly high standards, the paper raised some unavoidable questions and a huge speed bump in my quest to declare. Could I ever be considered a talented writer? Can I ever develop the confidence in my writing to make a career out of it? Do I even like writing?

The one thing that Steven King's On Writing has helped me realize is that I do enjoy writing. His advice is probably the most practical I've read in a while. He makes the writing process simplistic: just do it, practice, and keep doing it. He's very clear and concise, which is something I am to be when I write. In all honesty, I read the book in one sitting. I was completely enthralled by the way he delivered his advice. More importantly I think King, a best selling contemporary writer, is an invaluable resource for aspiring writers of all genres.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you connected so strongly with the King book. I think it's invaluable to all writers (otherwise I wouldn't have assigned it, right?).

    Want to use this forum to get you the following message on the movie change of date:

    I sent out an e-mail to the class via the BB system letting folks know that the film at Red River Theatres is postponed till the following week - so we'll be seeing it on November 10th instead. Our homework is posted on blackboard, in case you forget what's due next week. PLEASE RSVP so I know you received word.

    See you in the UNH classroom next week.

    Thanks,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete